THE TEN COMMANDMENTS
EXCELLENT NETWORKING ETIQUETTE
1. THOU SHALT PREPARE:
Attitude, focus, self-introduction, conversation, business cards, smile and handshake.
2. THOU SHALT ATTEND:
R.S.V.P. and act like a gracious guest.
3. THOU SHALT TRY STRATEGIES THAT FEEL COMFORTABLE:
Read nametags. Approach and be approachable. Smile. Listen. Care. Extricate courteously and mingle gracefully. Follow up. Telephone, text, email or send written “thank you”.
4. THOU SHALT SAY SOMETHING!
Don’t wait. Initiate. Take the risk. Listen with interest to the response.
Make eye contact.
5. THOU SHALT MIND THY MANNERS:
Learn old and new etiquette and brush up on your manners. Acknowledge others. Treat everyone politely.
6. THOU SHALT AVOID THE COMMON CRUTCHES:
Do not arrive too late. Don’t leave too early. Don’t drink too much. Don’t eat too much. Maintain your independence and integrity.
7. THOU SHALT REMEMBER THE THREE E’S:
Make an Effort
Bring your Energy
Exude authentic Enthusiasm
8. THOU SHALT DRESS APPROPRIATELY:
If unsure, always ask.
9. THOU SHALT REMEMBER THE THREE C’S:
10. THOU SHALT BRING THEY SENSE OF HUMOUR:
Always Appropriate, Tasteful and Timely